Sunday, January 19, 2014

learning to crochet

Once upon a time, in the far away land of Okinawa; there lived a group of very bored military spouses. The ladies started having a once a month craft day and made a lot of fun things that were completely useless. Some of the crafts included tissue paper flower wreaths, flower pot bunnies, and modge podge tequila bottle penguins. 

          *my absolutely favorite project*

What we made was not very important but the quality time with my friends was absolutely priceless. And it was during one of our craft days that my dear friend Katie taught me to crochet! She was so sweet and patient with me and I left that craft day feeling VERY accomplished. But then I tried it on my own. I attempted a simple crochet square BY myself and that simple crochet square looked nothing like a square.  Actually it did not look like anything that made any sort of sense and eventually evolved into a cactus pencil warmer. I am so not kidding. 


I am really bad about assuming i've "got it" and diving into a project I am not ready for. Once I "got" how to crochet I did it again. My husband wanted a blanket just for him, something big enough to curl up with and cover his toes AND he wanted the blanket to be 100% wool.  Being a loving wife, I absolutely made my husband's dream wool blanket for him! It took me FOREVER, or in real time three months. You know how your suppose to leave plenty of yarn when you fasten off? I left about an inch. No I am not kidding, just an inch. Now all those ends are knotted in little groups all over the edging. Oops. 


I am living breathing proof that practice make perfect and you never know what you can accomplish until you try! Three years have passed since I picked up my first crochet hook and I know that not all my crochet mistakes are behind me but I am certainly still learning and trying!



my little love and the things I have made her: 

                princess crown

                   leg warmers


                       kitty hat


                     Mint blanket






No comments:

Post a Comment